Next Retail Traders Coffee Morning
10am, Tues 2nd June
Gotham Coffee, The Entrance, NSW
CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME
by Gaye Crispin
Customer Service Legends
There’s a story I heard of an airline employee who gave her jumper to a passenger whose luggage had been lost?
And then there was the story of the hotel manager in Bali who flew in (at no charge to the family) special peanut-free products from all around the world for the son of a family staying in his hotel. He did this because he felt there wasn’t a wide enough choice of items available on the hotel menu for the family’s little boy to eat.
The act of serving another goes back centuries, and throughout history has been viewed as one of the greatest gifts to humanity – service, one person to another. This manager and the airline employee are held up as supreme examples of customer service because they did what customer service is all about – they served well.
Following are a few ideas to help you grow your own legendary list of great customer service stories.
GOOD TO GREAT
A good business + good staff + good customer service is bound for greatness.
HIRE THE RIGHT PEOPLE
- Find and retain quality people, because you can’t create world-class customer service with run-of-the-mill employees.
- Hire people with the right personality for their job.
- Hire people who who aren’t reluctant to take charge.
- Hire people best suited to doing whatever it takes to make customers happy.
- Hire people who aren’t afraid to hire people better than themselves.
- Hire your best customer service employees to recruit people just like themselves. If you have good workers give them an incentive to recruit other good workers.
PUT SERVICE FIRST
Put customer service at the core of your business & keep it fresh in everyone’s mind.
- Understand what your customers think is good customer service.
- Take time to find out what your customers expect.
- Listen. Take notes. Stay in touch with your customers.
- Follow up all feedback, both positive and negative.
- Encourage customer emails, calls and other feedback
- Build customer service into all aspects of your business.
- Continuously test new ways to improve your customer service.
“What do you need in business? Three simple things: Know your product better than anyone. Know your customer, and have a burning desire to succeed.” D Thomas
Great customer service skills are a gift, highly sought after ON both sides of the cash register. So, as the saying goes, “if you’ve got ’em flaunt ’em, because you never know where they may take you.”
Do you have a customer service story you’d like to share with us.
We’d love to hear it.
Gaye, Chrissy, Brenda, Sarah, Tammy, Leesa, Lee, Steve, Michael, Tony
The Central Coast Retail Traders Team
© Central Coast Retail Traders 2015
#RetailTraders #CentralCoast #BizTips #CustomerService #Retail
Posted in #RetailBizTip, Customer Service Tagged with: #biztip1, #RetailBizTip, #RetailBizTip1, business, central coast, customer service, Customer Service Pt 1, customers, feedback, happy customers, hotel, retail traders